The Health Benefits of Benzoin Oil
Benzoin oil is extracted from resin of the Styrax Benzoin tree and belongs to the Stryracaceae family. Originated in Laos and Vietnam, benzoin, also known as gum Benjamin, is one of the main ingredients of incense.
Benzoin oil has antiseptic, anti-depressant, astringent, anti-inflammatory, carminative, cordial, deodorant, diuretic, expectorant, sedative and vulnerary therapeutic properties beneficial for overall health.
- Benzoin oil can be used to help relieve redness in the face along with soothing itchiness, when used in vapour therapy.
- For catarrh and chest infections, put 3 drops of benzoin oil in a bowl of hot water and place the bowl beside your bed at night.
- During the day, add 4 drops of benzoin oil and 1-drop eucalyptus to a bowl of hot water cover your head with a towel and breathe in the fumes.
- It relieves anxiety, tension, nervousness, and stress, helps digestion and improves appetite.
- Mixed with bathing water and massage oils, or if applied on body, it kills body odor as well as the germs that cause the odor.
- Benzoin oil mixed with water, used, as a mouthwash is known to tighten the gum, and freshens the breath.
- Benzoin oil diuretic properties, promotes and facilitates urination, both in frequency and in quantity and thus aids in the removal of toxic substances from the blood through urination. Frequent urination also helps to lower blood pressure and lose weight.
- When applied externally, it alleviates pain associated with rheumatism and arthritis.
- Benzoin oil treats various skin conditions like acne, rashes, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Benzoin oil is also used in massage blends and aromatherapy applications for all cold conditions of the respiratory system. Colds, influenza, coughs, and bronchitis all benefit from benzoin.
Benzoin oil is a non-toxic and non-irritant, but a mild sensitizer and should be avoided if you have sensitive or allergy-prone skin.