The Health Benefits of Celery Oil
Celery is a plant in the Apiaceae family, popularly used as a vegetable. Celery Seed Oil is extracted from the seed of the plant through steam distillation. Celery oil contains powerful antioxidants, anti-septic, anti-rheumatic, antispasmodic, aperitif, diuretic, depurative and stomachic properties, it can be used as a sedative, tonic and carminative. It is also used as a fragrance in soaps, cosmetics, detergents, and perfumes.
Celery seed have a fresh, spicy and warm scent, it is an herb that have been used historically in medicine to treat bronchitis, asthma, liver and spleen diseases and with hepatoprotective activity against many hepatotoxins.
Celery seeds are very small, tan to dark brown in color, and have a strong, pleasant aroma. The seeds are found inside the white flowers of the plant. Celery oil also contains essential fatty acids like, linoleic acid, petroselinic acid, palmitic acid, and oleic acid.
Celery seed oil was used as a “folk remedy” for stomach problems, including heartburn. Celery seed oil can be found in the form of capsules and have been recommended to treat colds, influenza (flu), water retention, and poor digestion.
- Celery seed oil is primarily used as a diuretic. It helps the body shed excess water, increases urine, and helps to clear toxins in the body.
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory; it reduces pain and swelling in the joints.
- Celery seed oil treats urinary tract infection in women.
- It lowers high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- It relaxes the stomach and reduces gas.
- Celery seed oil stimulates menstrual flow.
- Aids digestion
- Aids milk flow in nursing mothers.
- It can help to combat halitosis (bad breath)
- It stimulates the appetite
- Maintains a healthy heart
- Celery seed oil is beneficial for people suffering from obesity as it aids in the weight loss process.
A health care provider must be contacted first before consuming any dietary supplements especially if pregnant or breast-feeding.