The Health Benefits of Eating Blackberry
There are many things we do not know or remember about Blackberry. First, with its growing popularity across the world, we seem to have forgotten it is a fruit. Research in Motion, the parent company for the popular Smartphone has successfully created a whole new meaning for the phrase “I feel for a blackberry”, but as the newly released phone continues to get mixed reviews, there are only good things to say about the actual fruit:
1) Much like many other fruits, blackberries are rich in bioflavonoids and Vitamin C, but other nutritional benefits include a very low sodium count and having a low calorie count. So it is the perfect snack when you are on a diet for weight purposes or due to health issues. It tastes great too.
2) The fruit is rich in antioxidants, something revealed by just the (dark) colour. This makes it an excellent agent for the prevention of cancer. They also are known to make the brain more alert during the process.
3) Blackberries can help you to look younger. They slow down the ageing process by helping to fight against free radicals that cause damage to the skin.
4) The high tannin content of blackberries also provides a number of benefits to reduce intestinal inflammation, alleviate hemorrhoids and soothe the effects of diarrhea.
5) Traditionally, the leaves and barks of the plant have also been consumed. The leaves of blackberries have been used to treat mild inflammation of the gums and sometimes even sore throats.
6) The astringent tannins are effective in oral hygiene when used as a gargle or mouthwash.
7) The healthy dose of Vitamin K aids in muscle relaxing, so some women use the berries to alleviate labour pains. As part of a regular diet, the juice can also be used to regulate menstruation as it is very effective in helping blood to clot.
Blackberries are truly an important part of our everyday life. They have become the device that business persons cannot live without; the one that teens dream to have and for those who have them – will do anything to keep. In this light, they are not much different from the fruit. The fruit has so many benefits that we should actually be turning back when we realize we left home without our daily intake of blackberry. It should be the first thing we think to check in the morning and the last thing we want to entertain in the nights. After all, the biggest thing they have in common is that they both make you look younger.