Turmeric, a member of the ginger family Zingiberaceae, is a popular herb that has a long history of use as a spice in culinary dishes.
Native to Asia, turmeric also known as jiang huang has many health benefits especially its oil.
Turmeric oil is extracted from its roots by steam distillation, cures a number of ailments, and is used in perfumes, and its resin is used as a flavor and color component in foods.
Turmeric oil contains therapeutic properties like antimicrobial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, potent anti-tumor, and anti-cancer, calming, grounding, antidepressant components.
Turmeric oil is popularly used as a spice in the food industry and in the pharmacy industry where it is used as an ingredient in many anti-inflammatory, pain relieving, anti-microbial, anti-fungal and antiseptic drugs and skin creams.
- Turmeric oil has been used with other essential oils like Frankincense, for preparing anti-inflammatory and pain relieving formulas.
- Turmeric oil has been found useful for arthritis and joint care and helps in muscle pain.
- Turmeric oil is used to help in preventing hair loss, especially baldness in men.
- It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent, useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
- It helps in the treatment of psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Turmeric oil is a powerful antioxidant that helps to promote heart health, memory, and boost the immune system.
- With it calming substance, turmeric oil calms the nerves and helps with stress or depression.
- Turmeric oil promotes metabolism in the body. It is bitter, slightly pungent and a good blood purifier, and works as a tonic to aid digestion and relieve congestion. It has a soothing action on respiratory ailments such as cough and asthma. Turmeric may be added to high-protein food to assist digestion and prevent the formation of gas.
- It protects the cardiovascular system by lowering serum cholesterol and inhibiting platelet aggregation.
Turmeric in a standardized supplement form is recommended if you are using it in order to improve health problems and it is safe to take.