Plum, a fruit belonging to the Prunus genus plant and the Rosaceae family to which other fruits like peach, almond and cherries belong is considered as “drupe” because of the hard stone pit that surrounds it. Dried plum is called the fruit we know as prunes. There are many varieties of plums that can be found and thus are originated from different countries like the European plum which was discovered over two (2) thousand years ago in Europe.
Plum is known for its sweet, juicy taste and is available in many varieties and Colours like red, purple, green just to name a few and yellow when ripe. Native to Asia, plums have numerous health benefits, a fruit both delicious and nutritious. Plum is packed with essential vitamins and minerals that can keep us healthy and make us live longer, this remarkable fruit is of oval shape, medium size with a single seed on the inside and a juicy flesh, that is cultivated mostly in the United States, Europe, China and Japan.
Health Benefits Of Plum
Plum is enriched in fibre, anti-oxidants, vitamin A, beta-carotene, niacin, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, vitamin K, potassium, flouride, iron, low in calories and contains no saturated fats.
With all these important vitamins and minerals, plum has been proven to:-
- Protect the skin especially from the UV rays of the sun
- Relieves constipation
- Aids in weight loss
- Prevents and treats illnesses of the digestive system
- Strengthens the immune system especially from recurring ear infection, cold and influenza (flu)
- Protects the body from free radicals that damages the cells in the body
- Protects the eyes
- Protects the teeth from plaque build up and protect it from cavities
- Protects the gums from diseases like gingivitis
- Fights against various cancers like colon cancer
- Protects the heart from diseases
- Treats or prevents asthma
- Cleanses the blood
- Protects the body from strokes
- Prevents osteoarthritis
Plums have endless health benefits and are backed by numerous research. Plums can be added to various dishes and can be eaten at any time of day as a part of your breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
Plums can be bought at your local supermarket or market.