Ajowan seed is enriched with fibre, protein, carbohydrate, phosphorus, iron, beta-carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, calcium, and niacin; it is almost a colourless to brownish liquid with characteristic odour and a sharp hot taste and bitter too.
Ajowan is a plant belonging to the Apiaceae family to which dill and fennel are apart of and have feathery leaves and white flowers and is said to be native to India an oil known for its spasmodic, carminative, stimulant properties and also act as a tonic, it is also found as an ingredient in some soaps under the name thymene.
Ajowan Oil is used as flavouring in medicines, seasoning of soups and salads. Ajowan seeds contain thymol, which is its main ingredient; it is an essential oil, which also have germicidal, anti-spasmodic, and fungicidal properties.
It is popularly known to fight against a variety of health conditions.
Ajowan oil is also anti-infectious, expectorant, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, antiseptic and anti-nausea which makes it beneficial for any ailments like treating stomach problems for example diarrhea.
- Ajowan oil is used to treat problems of the respiratory system like bronchitis, cold, influenza, asthma, and nasal congestion.
- It aids digestion
- Helps to improve sex life especially in men
- Fights against constipation especially in pregnant women
- Alleviate colic in babies
- Promotes a healthy heart and protects against diseases and even stroke
- It is known to relieve rheumatoid and arthritis pain
- Alleviate hiccups
- Relieve headaches like migraine
- Ajowan oil is used to remove intestinal worms, treats skin infections and gynecological fungal infections. It is used to treat urinary and gynecological bacterial and viral infections.
- It is used by many women all over the world to regulate menustration and improve fertility.
- Alleviate jaundice and remove kidney stones also strengthens the function of the liver.
- Reduces flatulence
- Treats cholera and weakness
Ajowan oil is not to be given to children under six (6) years old or pregnant and lactating women.
It should not be used too long without consulting with a health care provider. If using pure oil, skin irritation is likely to occur.