Allspice (Pimenta officinalis) is a mixture of clove, cinnamon, cardamom, pepper, and a few other spices all rolled into one to get a unique flavour. Allspice, also known as pimento or Jamaican pimento in the Caribbean, a spice used regularly by every household for cooking and baking, it is native to some countries of the Caribbean Islands and South America. Allspice oil is extracted by a process called steam distillation of its leaves and fruits. The oil made from the fruit is pale yellow in color and has a fresh, warm, spicy smell.
Allspice contains Analgesic, anesthetic, antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, antiseptic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, carminative, rubefacient, and stimulant therapeutic properties. The spice also contains vitamin A, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), riboflavin, niacin and vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant; regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps the body to The spice also contains very good amounts of vitamin-A, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), riboflavin, niacin and vitamin-C. Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant; regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin C helps body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals.
- Allspice is enriched with minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, copper, selenium, and magnesium. Iron is an important co-factor for cytochrome-oxidase enzymes during cellular metabolism. It is also required for red blood cell production in the bone marrow. Being an important component of cell and body fluids, potassium helps control heart rate and blood pressure.
- Allspice oil can be used as part of massage oil for chest infection, severe muscle spasm, or extreme cold. It is also helpful for rheumatism, arthritis, stiffness, chills, congested coughs, and bronchitis.
- For toothache, use 2-3 drops of allspice oil on a cotton swab, and apply directly to the tooth. Take great care not to swallow, as allspice in this high concentration could cause nausea.
- The antiseptic property of allspice oil protects wounds against infections and inhibits bacterial growth.
- Allspice oil sedates nervous afflictions and hyperactive reactions, while inducing a relaxing and calming effect on the body and mind. This property also effectively gives relief from cramps and spasms. This is also helpful for bringing sleep to those people who are suffering from insomnia.
- Allspice oil acts as a tonic and boosts the immune system of the body.
- Allspice oil is beneficial for digestion especially after having heavy meals.
Like any other herbal supplement, allspice oil should be taken in moderation and should be avoided during pregnancy and it can cause allergic reactions.