One of the world’s most popular fruits that is used on a daily basis is coconut especially its juice and products.
Coconut, a fruit of the cocos nucifera palm which belongs to the larger Palmaceae family of palm trees, that is popularly consumed on a daily basis especially in some Caribbean countries where it is an ingredient in the famous rice and peas.
It can be described as a fibrous one-seeded drupe which is a fruit with a hard stony covering enclosing the seed, coconut can be a fruit, a nut, and a seed.
Other description includes a “large, oval, brown seed of a tropical palm, consisting of a hard shell lined with edible white flesh and containing a clear liquid”
The coconut palm, also called cocoanut, is a member of the Arecaceae family that is the palm family. All parts of the coconut are useful and is popularly known as the tree of life which can make juice, fiber, food, fuel, utensils, musical instruments just to name a few.
Native to the pacific, coconut have countless benefits and not just health wise but other uses as well.
The coconut is an excellent source of potassium, iron, calcium, copper, manganese, zinc, magnesium, folic acid, thiamin, niacin, manganese, riboflavin and pyridoxine, this outstanding fruit also contain antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Coconut is a very versatile fruit, it can be used in many ways as was suggested before, the juice on the inside can be drank, the milk is obtained from the meat inside by just grating it or some people prefer to blend and the oil from the meat is used in a variety of ways like it being an ingredient in lotions, hair oils and many cosmetics.
Health Benefits Of Coconut:-
- Coconut is popularly used by people who wants to lose weight, the juice is drunk to aid in the weight loss process
- It lowers the risk of heart disease *Boost energy levels and the juice is normally drank by athletes
- Treats diabetes
- Helps the immune system fights against infections
- Maintains a healthy skin thus protecting it from wrinkles and is good for the hair too
- Hydrates the body, no wonder sick people consume it often because it keeps the body hydrated especially if suffering from diarrhea
- Coconut oil can be used in cooking and is a healthy alternative, the oil is also an excellent choice in the treatment of Candida infections
Coconut can also be found as an ingredient in biscuits and candies. A fruit that is available all year round.