Melissa oil is extracted by a processed called steam distillation of fresh buds, leaves and twigs from Melissa officinalis and is also known as lemon balm or bee plant, a perennial herb in the mint Lamiaceae family, native to some parts of Europe and the Mediterranean region.
The extracts from the Melissa plant has been used for its medicinal properties for ages and is still popularly used today.
Melissa oil is considered one of the most powerfully medicinal oil used in aromatherapy, known for its wonderfully pleasant, sweet, herbaceous aroma.
Melissa oil, a pale yellow liquid, contains antidepressant, antispasmodic, bactericidal, carminative, cordial, diaphoretic, emmenagogue, febrifuge, hypotensive, nervine, sedative, stomachic, sudorific and tonic therapeutic properties.
- Melissa oil emmenagogue property makes this oil beneficial for women as it aids in the problems like obstructed and irregular menses, pain and fatigue during periods, untimely menopause, annoyance, and depression associated with menopause.
- Melissa oil is also effective in treating herpes, sores, ulcers, fungal infections and headaches.
- Melissa oil fights against bacterial or microbial infections in the body and it builds the body too.
- Place a drop of Melissa oil in your palm, rub between your hands, cup over your nose and mouth and breathe slowly for up to 30 seconds or more to alleviate anxiety.
- Dilute 1 drop of Melissa oil with 3-4 drops of carrier oil and apply a small amount to the area 1-3 times a day to treat skin problems like eczema.
- This wonderful oil sedates and soothes. It is good on calming inflammations, nervousness, trauma and shock. It also promotes sleep due to this property. It relaxes body, mind and soul and brings peace.
- Gases, building up in the intestines, are forced out by Melissa oil. It is very effective in expelling gases by reducing the tension in the abdominal muscles.
People all over the world believes that Melissa oil has calming effects so they take it for anxiety, sleep problems, and restlessness.
Melissa oil is also used for Alzheimer’s disease, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), an autoimmune disease involving the thyroid, swollen airways, rapid heartbeat due to nervousness, high blood pressure, sores and tumors and is considered safe to take.