Neroli, botanical name Citrus Aurantium, has a refreshing and distinctive, spicy aroma, the oil is extracted from the small, white, waxy flowers of the bitter-orange tree or Neroli by steam distillation a plant belonging to the Rutaceae family and is known as orange flower.
Neroli oil is one of the most popular oils, known for its wonderful therapeutic properties and a great smell and has been used for centuries to combat plague, fever, and nervousness.
Originated in Italy, Neroli oil contains antidepressant, antiseptic, anti-infectious, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, bactericidal, carminative, cicatrisant, cytophylactic, cordial, deodorant, digestive, emollient, sedative and tonic therapeutic properties.
- As a blended massage oil or diluted in a bath, neroli oil helps with insomnia, headaches, neuralgia, nervous tension, heart palpitations, anxiety, depression, colitis, stomach upsets and diarrhea.
- Neroli oil drives away sadness, invokes a feeling of joy and happiness while uplifting your overall mood.
- It gives relief from distress, anger, inflammations, and irritation because of its sedative property.
- It has also been known to create romantic and sexual feelings, which is very important for having a happy and successful sex life, it helps to cure loss of interest in sex, frigidity, impotence, and erectile dysfunctions.
- To treat acne, simple wet a cotton ball, then apply a few drops of neroli oil. Dab affected area lightly.
- To improve circulation, mix 3-4 drops in 1 ounce of carrier oil and massage on body. Can also use 8-10 drops in bath water regularly.
- When used in skin-care products, neroli oil can treat oily skin, reduce the signs of aging, and diminish the appearance of scars and stretch marks.
- Aromatherapy professionals recommend using neroli oil to people who have difficulty sleeping.
- Neroli oil antispasmodic properties will ease menstrual cramps and labor pains while minimizing anxiety and nourishing the skin.
Neroli oil is sold in many health food stores and in stores that specislize in self-care products and should not be taken internally without the supervision of a health care provider.