Pecan nuts, is a smooth pinkish brown nut with an edible kernel and is a species of the hickory tree, botanically a drupe, pecan nut is native to the south central region of the United Sates and Mexico, a nut that is similar to the walnut only a bit different in appearance.
Pecan nuts have been a part of the diet and is used in many dishes for years and American tribes depended on it as a staple food especially during the winter and fall seasons and is often used in pies or as a flavouring in ice-cream and many more products.
Pecans are touted for its many health benefits and nutritional value, it is packed with protein, a rich source of energy, fibre, antioxidants, saturated fat, omega-6 fatty acids, thiamin, manganese, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, beta-carotene, folate, potassium, zinc and vitamin E. Pecan nuts are a good source of healthy fats and as such is considered heart healthy, a nut that is even suitable for vegetarians.
Pecan nuts also known as Carya Illinoinensis, a nut with a shell that have an oblong shape and a rich buttery flavour and is a part of the Juglandaceae family are prized for its richness in antioxidants which are substances that is found in foods that protects the body against cell damage, a healthy delicious and nutritious nut with many benefits.
Studies have been conducted and it has been proven that pecan nuts
- Boosts the immune system
- Fights against heart disease
- Fights against various cancers like breast and colon cancer, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease
- Reduce cholesterol levels
- Regulate blood pressure levels
- Decrease body fat and as such is an excellent choice for the people who wants to lose weight, research have proven that the nuts aid in weight loss as it increases the metabolic rate of the body
- Pecans help to aid in digestion
- Relieve constipation
- Promotes healthy teeth and bones
- Reduces the risk of arthritis
- Prevents stroke
Pecan nuts are safe to be consumed, only in cases of allergy where people are allergic to nuts, some of these symptoms includes swelling of the throat, shortness of breath and vomiting.