Petitgrain has a fresh, flowery, woody, citrusy aroma and its oil has been used since the 18th century in perfumes, colognes pharmaceutical and cosmetics as well as in food and beverages as a flavouring agent, because of its wonderful aroma.
Petitgrain Oil has antiseptic, anti-spasmodic, anti-depressant, deodorant, sedative and nervine therapeutic properties.
- Petitgrain oil with its sedative property helps nervous problems such as irritations, inflammations, anxiety, and anger. It can also be used to treat problems like abnormal palpitations and hypertension.
- Petitgrain oil helps to clear and tone the skin. It is particularly good for greasy, congested skin, acne, pimples, and other blemishes, as it has a mild antiseptic action and helps to control over-active sebum production. Petitgrain also acts as a deodorant and can help relieve excessive perspiration.
- For a refreshing bath, add 3 drops of Petitgrain oil and 2 drops Rosemary to a teaspoon of carrier oil. Add carrier oil to warm bath water and relax for 10-15 minutes.
- For a massage oil to relieve fatigue, mix together 10 ml (2 tsp) soya oil and 10 drops petitgrain oil. Massage into the lower spine, nape of the neck, solar plexus, chest, stomach, hands, and feet. This can be used for young children as well, but halve the proportion of petitgrain.
- The stimulant, tonic and anti-depressant properties of this oil assists in quicker recovery by relaxing the mind, conquering addictions, clearing off mental depression and insecurity due to the memories of the painful moments, strengthening the nervous system and promoting peaceful sleep as many people during the process of recovery suffer from insomnia and other sleeping problems.
- Petitgrain oil helps control spasms in the body. Spasms can be incredibly painful and are the result of involuntary contractions of the muscles, nerves, and tissues in the body. Being a natural relaxant, petitgrain oil eases and soothes the stressed muscles and nerves, providing relief to the body.
- It also soothes nausea and eliminates the urge to vomit, since it is an anti-emetic. When used in the summer, it gives a cool and refreshing feeling.
Petitgrain oil blends well with other oils like neroli oil.
Combine 20 drops of neroli and 20 drops of petitgrain with 8 ounces of distilled water.
Place the mixture in a bottle with a spray atomizer attachment.
In times of stress shake the bottle, then lightly mist the face, and inhale the aroma.