There is a famous quote that says “don’t judge a book by its cover”, the same could be said of this fruit but in different words “don’t judge a fruit by its size” this fruit is so small no one could have known it is so essential for our health. A fruit that is grown all over the world and loved by everyone, lychee.
Lychee, meaning “gift for loyal life” is a thin brittle shell enclosed with a juicy, sweet, delicious pulp that looks like jelly with a seed inside that should not be consumed, a small fruit touted as a “super fruit”. Lychee fruit is packed with countless health benefits enriched with essential minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.
How can one little fruit be so powerful?
Native to China, lychee is normally served as a dessert in Chinese restaurants, lychee is a rich source of vitamin C, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, folic acid, iron, fibre, copper, protein, niacin, thiamin, saturated fats, it is low in calories and contains no cholesterol and the list goes on.
A member of the soapberry family, lychee is known to treat or prevent a number of health conditions when consumed regularly and have been used in Chinese medicine for years to combat many illnesses, this fruit is even loved by children because they normally enjoy sucking on the jelly pulp.
The lychee fruit is known for:-
- Strengthen the immune system and protects the body from viruses, studies have shown that just by eating a few lychees can relieve cold and influenza (flu)
- Increase metabolism and is proven to even be helpful for the elderly who constantly suffer from weakness and is also an excellent choice to aid in weight loss, for people who desire to shed some pounds, this fruit is the right choice for you and it contains no sugars and is rich in fibre so any amount can be eaten
- It contains a powerful cancer fighting agents, it prevents or treats various cancers like breast cancer
- Protects the skin, it also has anti-ageing benefits
- Prevents strokes
- Controls blood sugar and heart rate
- Prevents heart disease
- Cure ulcers
- Lychee peel can be consumed as tea and relieve diarrhea
- Aids digestion
- Maintains healthy bones
- Maintains healthy hair and scalp
- Reduces pain
Lychee can be found in supermarkets by itself or canned and is used to make syrups, jams, juices, candies and also to enhance the flavour of teas, it can also be added to fruit salads or dressings. The juice is preferably enjoyed mostly on a warm summer day and is more plentiful at that time.